35 Uses For Paracord
By: Scott Robertson
Posted On: 2011-08-23
Wikipedia says the following about paracord (slightly edited):
Parachute cord (also called paracord or 550 cord) is a lightweight, nylon rope originally used in the suspension lines of US parachutes during World War II. Once in the field, paratroopers found this cord useful for many other tasks. It is now used as a general purpose utility cord by both military personnel and civilians. This versatile cord was even used by astronauts during STS-82, the second Space Shuttle mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.
The braided sheath has a high number of interwoven strands for its size, giving it a relatively smooth texture. The all-nylon construction makes paracord fairly elastic; depending on the application this can be either an asset or a liability.
Depending on the type of paracord being used, there are 6 types; the breaking strength ranges between 95 pounds and 750 pounds. That is some strong stuff!
Olive green paracord
What follows are 35 different uses for this awesome cord.
17. Securing a flag
18. Keep rolled up items, like a bed roll, secured
19. Tie a Turk's head to create a neckerchief slide
20. Tie objects such as poles together for easier transport
21. Braid / twist into a rope
22. Bundle cables or rope together
23. Hang up a clothes line
24. Hang a bear bag from a tree
25. Use the inner strands as dental floss
26. Pet leash
27. Pet collar
28. Build a bow drill
29. Use inner strands as fishing line
30. Adding a loop to a tool
31. Weave into a hammock
32. Tie two cots together to make a couch
33. Secure gear to a vechicle
Sorry, can't resist throwing these two in:
34. Tying up unruly tent mates
35. Use a handful of cord as toliet paper (Maybe this will go over better then duct tape toilet paper?)
How do you use paracord? Drop us a note to share your tips!
The next time you need to stock up on paracord, why not give our friends at CampingSurvival.com a look? Enter code "insanescouter" (no quotes) at checkout to receive a 5% discount on your order.