Yummy Mummy Cookies
Posted On: 2020-05-29
• 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup cocoa
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 to 2 packages (10 ounces each) white chocolate chips
• 1 to 2 tablespoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)
• Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, for garnish
• Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat well.
• Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Refrigerate dough 15 to 20 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
• Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
• To form mummy bodies, using 1 tablespoon dough, roll into 31/2-inch-long carrot shape; place on an ungreased cookie sheet. To form the mummy's head, roll 1 teaspoon dough into a ball the size and shape of a grape, press onto the wide end of the body. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
• Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until set. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
• Place 12/3 cups (10-ounce package) white chips and 1 tablespoon shortening in microwave-safe pie plate or shallow bowl. Cook on high (100 percent power) for 1 minute; stir until chips are melted.
• Coat tops of cookies by placing one cookie at a time on table knife or narrow metal spatula; spoon white chip mixture evenly over cookie to coat. (If mixture begins to thicken, return to microwave oven for a few seconds.)
• Place coated cookies on waxed paper. Melt additional chips with shortening, if needed, for additional coating. As coating begins to set on cookies, using a toothpick, score lines and facial features into coating to resemble mummy. Place 2 small semisweet chocolate chips one each cookie for eyes. Store covered in cool, dry place.
• Makes about 30 cookies.
SCCC Pow wow 2003