Scott Robertson

SM tip - Moving Past Tour Permits
By: Posted On: 2011-09-15

 Ever since I became an adult Scouter, tour permits have been required for certain troop outings-typically those beyond council borders, although local rules varied. I long ago lost count of the tour permit applications I filled out.


But no more. Tour permits-both the local and national variety-have been replaced by the tour plan form. The change is more than just a semantic one. The new form is quite different from the old one. In fact, it brings several significant changes. Among them:


*The pledge of performance has been updated.

*The council now reviews all plans; there's no national version that must go to the regional office.

*The required timeframe for submitting forms is 21 days out, although I assume most councils will accept forms closer to departure dates.

*The form can be printed on standard letter-size paper.

*You can save your completed form in PDF format, which will make updates easier.


Best of all, the new form clearly states when a tour plan is required (although councils can still set their own policies). Specifically, you'll need to submit a tour plan in these cases:


*When a trip exceeds 500 miles

*When a trip goes outside of council borders and not to a council-owned property

*When you're headed to a national high-adventure base, national jamboree, National Order of the Arrow Conference or regionally sponsored event

*When you're conducting one of the following activities on your own:


*Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)

*Climbing and rappelling

*Orientation flights (which require a separate flying plan)

*Shooting sports

*Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.)


For more information-and a link to the new form-visit


Republished with permission, These tips come from the tips list is a free service for more information, visit