Quick Stew Recipe
By: Scott Robertson
Posted On: 2009-09-13
There has been recently a few requests for me to share some of my cooking skills. So today I decided to share my "Quick Stew" recipe ...
Cook Time: 45 - 75 mins
Serving Size: 3-5
1lb Stew Meat
1 Fresh Peppers (frozen or fresh)
4-5 large Potatoes
Vegies (frozen or fresh)
1 small can Tomato Sauce (or you can used stew tomato)
1-2 Beef Bullion cubes
1 package Brown gravy mix
Garlic Powder (could use fresh garlic instead)
Italian Seasoning (blend of Italian seasoning)
Chef Enssens (a mix kind of like seasoned salt without the salt)
How to make it
- I start off by cutting up the potato into around half to quarter inch cubes. i place these on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for about 8-10 mins. Make sure you add at least salt and peper to the potato at this time.
- Put some oil in bottom of a large cast iron skillet and pre heat skillet
- Dice up the onion and add to warm skillet
- In a sauce pan bring a cup to cup and half of water to light boil. Add in some salt, peper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and a beef bullion cube or two. Allow to simmer for a bit. After it has simmer for a few minuets add your vegies to the beef broth.
- Once onion is browned add in the stew meat. I normally cut the stew meat up into smaller chunks then it comes from my store.
- By the time the onion and meat are mostly cooked the potato in the microwave should be done. Add the potato into the skillet. Allow to cook together for a few minutes stiring to keep potato from sticking to pan.
- Dump your beef broth and vegies into the skillet
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes. Take a taste of it and add seasoning to taste.
- Add in the tomato
- Allow to simmer for a while, longer it simmers the more the flavours will melt together
- Add add water to the broth as needed, a little at a time to ensure the mix doesn't get to dry.
- Every so often check the flavour by tasting something in the mix and adjust the seasoning's as needed
- Once all your vegies, potato, meat etc are cooked to your liking and you are ready to server add in some brown gravy mix slowly. Make sure the stove is on low so you don't burn the gravy. Keep mixing until the powder is fully mixed and the gravy is a thickness you like. You can have as much or little gravy as you like based on the amount of fluids in the skillet. Do not drain the fluids however, boil it down or you will lose a lot of flavour.
- If you use fresh vegietables ensure they are cut to a size that will cut in the time period you desire. The larger the pieces the longer it will take to cook.
- If you want to make the beef broth from scratch or use another method then bullion cubes that is fine
- You can use any seasonings you want, maybe you don't like garlic or have to watch your salt intake, adjust as you like. Also add in other seasonings what I describe above is very mild maybe you want it hotter so you add in some cayanne pepper.
Please tell me in the comments section below, how this works out for you. Any tweaks you make. How I can make it better, or how you make something similar. Also I would like to know if you would like me to post more recipes.