This unusual table centerpiece is ephemeral -- but it's beautiful while it lasts.
- Large Rome Beauty apples (that will stand straight on the table)
- Waxed paper
- Potato peeler
- Lemon juice
1. Using an apple corer, make a hole about halfway through the middle of an apple. Make the hole as straight as possible and remove the core piece.
2. Insert a candle into the hole. It should fit tightly; if the hole is too large, wrap waxed paper around the candle's end.
3. Older kids can decorate the apples by carefully carving designs in the skins with the tip of a potato peeler (to prevent the designs from turning brown, rub them with lemon juice).
4. Arrange the candle holders in a circle on a plate or cutting board